Art & DT
Art and Design Technology allow children to express themselves in the highest form. At FHIS, we aim to equip our children with the knowledge, skills and resilience needed in order to express themselves through the arts and in turn respect the work produced by others. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology projects, children develop a critical understanding of its impact on observers and daily life. Children at FHIS, develop an understanding of how design and technology and art makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
All learners can access the curriculum through adults supporting, differentiated outcomes or scaffolded tasks. Long term curriculum planning not only provides coverage across the specific curriculum area but also horizontal links with other subjects, this provides opportunities to link, re-visit and deepen knowledge and skills across all subject areas.
- Knowledge organisers allow for consistency across the year groups but also support subject knowledge.
- DT and art are interlinked where possible to allow more coverage and progression in skills.
- Medium term plans and Unit plans in place to ensure skills and knowledge are built upon.
- Entrance and exit tickets are used to check understanding and inform further planning.
- The long- term curriculum plan has been developed by breaking down the Development matters framework and the National Curriculum. This ensures coverage across the Key stages. This form our progression of skills map.
- Termly units are taken from the progression of disciplinary and substantive knowledge map to build on skills and knowledge.